I have spoken a lot lately about the world we live in changing rapid and a lot of it is to do with the advancements in A.I.
However the challenging thing for me is it is so confusing and it is easy to get lost in acronyms and big words.
This piece is great, it is deep and goes into everything that we should all understand.
Why is that so important? Well according to Sundar it will be very important - “The last 10 years have been about building a world that is mobile-first. In the next 10 years, we will shift to a world that is AI-first.” (Sundar Pichai, CEO of Google, October 2016). I remember the coming of age of mobile, it was a fascinating time to be in the industry, there was a lot of vision and a lot of hope but also a lot of ignorance and look where we are today. We all need to get our heads around this new world and the sooner the better.
What excites me about this piece is the stated future applications.
- Reasoning: Legal assessment; financial asset management; financial application processing; games; autonomous weapons systems.
- Knowledge: Medical diagnosis; drug creation; media recommendation; purchase prediction; financial market trading; fraud prevention.
- Planning: Logistics; scheduling; navigation; physical and digital network optimisation; predictive maintenance; demand forecasting; inventory management.
- Communication: Voice control; intelligent agents, assistants and customer support; real-time translation of written and spoken languages; real-time transcription.
- Perception: Autonomous vehicles; medical diagnosis; surveillance.
We are already working with a lot of these industries and working on some amazing pieces of work. It's so fascinating however also so challenging.
Whatever line of business you are reading this from you need to put it into perspective and figure out how your world will change because it will it's not if but when.
To finish with a big realisation from this article 'as software eats the world, our primary source of value creation is the processing of information.'
Read and learn people
From Amazon and Facebook to Google and Microsoft, leaders of the world’s most influential technology firms are highlighting their enthusiasm for Artificial Intelligence (AI). But what is AI? Why is it important? And why now? While there is growing interest in AI, the field is understood mainly by specialists. Our goal for this primer is to make this important field accessible to a broader audience. We’ll begin by explaining the meaning of ‘AI’ and key terms including ‘machine learning’. We’ll illustrate how one of the most productive areas of AI, called ‘deep learning’, works. We’ll explore the problems that AI solves and why they matter. And we’ll get behind the headlines to see why AI, which was invented in the 1950s, is coming of age today.